It’s not literally a cake, but that’s what they call it in the Middle East. It’s basically biscuits dipped in Nescafe, layered and topped with whipped cream on each double layer. That’s all, really. Some people add evaporated milk to the recipe, but I just skip that part. I make the whipped cream using Dream Whip and I add a teaspoon and a half of instant coffee to the mix.++
This is one of the easiest and quickest desserts that I make, and I really recommend trying it if you do not have enough time on your hands to make something sweet. However, keep in mind that you should refrigerate it for a few hours after making it, but I prefer to keep it refrigerated overnight as it will taste even better. BOTH WAYS, it tastes so good, no worries. I’m sharing this recipe as friends and family have requested it for a while. Honestly, everyone who tries it loves it, and I am always always asked for the recipe, so here you go:
Total Time: 10 minutes (excluding refrigeration)
Yield: ~12 servings
2 tsp Nescafe Gold ++
2 cups hot water
FOR THE WHIP CREAM:
4 packets of Dream Whip
2 cups of milk
2 tsp vanilla
1 ½ tsp Nescafe Gold
- Empty the powder from the packets into a bowl, add 2 cups of cold milk to it, and 2 teaspoons vanilla.
- Beat on high speed for about 4 minutes until it thickens.
- Add 1 ½ tsp of Nescafe to the bowl and mix.
- In a different bowl, dissolve 2 tsp of Nescafe into 2 cups of hot water.
- Prepare a 9×13 dish, then dip the tea biscuits into the coffee for a second or so and remove (they break easily, so remove it before it becomes too soft.) Place TWO layers of biscuits into the dish.
- Spread half of the whipped cream over the biscuits.
- Above the whipped cream, add another TWO layers of soaked biscuits, then spread the remainder of the whipped cream on top.
- Put some biscuits in a clean plastic bag, and crush them with a rolling pin, or you can do that with a food processor if you want.
- Sprinkle the dish with the crushed biscuits.++
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 or 4 hours, preferably overnight.
++You may want to try dipping the biscuits into 2 cups of your favorite coffee, brewed–instead of Nescafe–but with NO added sugar or milk.
++You can replace the crushed biscuits with crushed pistachios, cocoa powder or Nescafe powder.